What are some tips for repaying loans?
- Estimate repayment amounts before you borrow.
- Make a budget without using loans as a resource. Borrow only what you need to cover remaining expenses. The less you have to borrow, the less you have to repay.
- Learn how to manage your loans as early as possible.
- Explore ways to pay off your loans faster.
- Avoid some common student loan mistakes.
How do I get started repaying my loans?
Before You Graduate
- Get a one-on-one free financial coaching.
- Consider making payments while you're in school.
- Complete mandatory Exit Counseling.
- Review your Federal Loan History and make sure it's accurate.
- Get to know your federal loan servicer.
After You Graduate
- Select an affordable repayment plan.
- See if you're eligible for loan forgiveness, cancellation, or discharge.
- Consider loan consolidation. Apply for consolidation through StudentLoans.gov.
- Register for an online account with your loan servicer and enroll in automatic payments.
What should I do if I'm having trouble paying?
- See Student Aid's guide for what to do if you can't afford payments.
- Visit Student Loan Borrower Assistance for help.
- Consider switching repayment plans or consolidating your loans.
- Find out if you're eligible for loan forgiveness, cancellation, or discharge.
- Find out if you qualify for a deferment or forbearance.