Understanding Taxes

What are taxes?

For a break down of what taxes are, and how they affect college students, see the Tax Guide for College Students.

How can I file my taxes?

  • The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program - Offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
  • IRS Free File - Use free, easy to use file software if your income is below $66,000, or access free file fillable forms if your income is above $66,000.

Where can I find help with my taxes?