The Parent PLUS loan is a credit-based, fixed-rate loan a dependent student's parent
or guardian may borrow for your educational expenses.
To apply for this loan, the first step is to accept the “Parent PLUS Offer” through
the myUNT student portal.
Next, your parent or guardian applying for the loan must complete the following steps
through the Department of Education:
- Log in using their Federal Student Aid ID Username and password.
- If the parent does not have a Federal Student Aid ID, one can be created by clicking
on "Create an Account (FSA ID)" on the log in screen at studentaid.gov.
- To complete the application and credit authorization, click on the "Apply for Aid"
link, then select "Apply for a PLUS Loan".
- The parent will then click on the start button to the right of “Direct PLUS Loan Application
for Parents” to begin the application process.
- The parent can specify a loan amount or indicate maximum eligibility.
- The parent will receive the results of a borrower-initiated credit check immediately.
Please allow 5-7 business days for UNT to receive and process the credit decision.
- New Parent PLUS loan borrowers: New parent borrowers must electronically sign a PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN)
for Parents through the studentaid.gov website.
- Parents of approved with an Endorser in a previous year are required to complete a
new MPN. The MPNs will be available for completion at the time of application.
You will receive updates regarding the status of the Parent PLUS loan application,
including next steps, via your To Do List located in the myUNT portal and via your EagleConnect Email. Please see What is the status of my aid application? for details regarding how
to check your To Do List.