The U.S. Department of Education has released updated guidance permitting schools to accept copies of tax returns and written statements of non-filing as acceptable documentation for verification purposes for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 application cycles.
Verification is the process to confirm the information you reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFAS) will request documentation to support the information you have reported. If your application is selected for verification, SFAS will notify you through your To Do List on MyUNT.
Some of the main reasons your application may have been selected include:
- You were chosen randomly. At least 30 percent of applications are chosen for verification.
- Your FAFSA contains estimated information.
- The data you provided is inconsistent.
- You made corrections to your application after you were awarded.
If you have been selected for verification, please take the following steps:
- Read the information in your To Do List on MyUNT.
- Click the Verification Process link provided in your To Do List.
- Sign in using your UNT ID and password.
- Follow the instructions on the form.
- Once completed and submitted to our office, allow 2-3 weeks for the form to be processed.
You may need to refer to and provide various documents when completing the verification process. Some documents needed when completing this process are tax return transcripts, W-2s, high school diploma, non-filing letter, etc. Have these documents available before logging on and completing the verification form.
Opting out of signing your verification form electronically will require you to print out your form prior to logging out. Your form and any attached documents will not be sent electronically to UNT. Once you print and sign your form, you will need to submit the form to our office along with all required supporting documents.
If you do not print the form before logging out, you will lose all of your entered data and will need to contact our office for assistance.