The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students.

Additional information from

Loan FAQs

What do I have to do to get my loan funds?

You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Monitor your MyUNT To Do List for updates and requirements. Once you are awarded, you must accept your loan awards via MyUNT.

Can I go ahead and complete the loan counseling now?

Yes. This can be done on You will need your FSA ID and enter University of North Texas as a school to receive the results.

If I borrowed loans through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program and Direct Loans, will I have two different servicers to repay now?
Yes. You will receive correspondence and payment information from both the Department of Education and your prior lender or servicer.
Where can I find information about deferments or forbearance requests?
More information can be found on Direct Loan Deferment and Forbearance.
Where do I find information about Federal Loan Consolidation?
More information can be found on Direct Loan Consolidation.
What is required for my loans when I leave UNT?
Loan borrowers are required to complete Student Exit Counseling shortly before completing a degree, leaving UNT (i.e., withdrawing, graduation) or ceasing half-time enrollment. Be sure to select the University of North Texas as a school to receive notification of completion.
How do my parents apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan?
For undergraduate students only, you and your parents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once the parent loan is awarded and accepted, the parent borrower must log onto to submit the Direct Parent PLUS Request.
What if my parent is not eligible for the Federal Direct PLUS loan?
The Department of Education will run a credit history check to determine eligibility for a Federal Direct PLUS loan. The department will provide additional information to parents about other options (i.e. pursue a co-signer/endorser or appeal the denial) if there is adverse credit history. UNT will process all denials received, regardless of which option is chosen. The PLUS Denial - Additional Unsubsidized Loan Request Form will be added to the student's To Do List via MyUNT once the denial has been processed.
How do I repay my loans?
What is a Master Promissory Note?
The Master Promissory Note is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s).
What is an origination fee?
An origination fee is used by the federal government to offset the administrative costs of the loan. Origination fees are charged as the loan is disbursed.
What is the interest rate?
The interest rates for federal student loans can be found at Federal Student Aid.