Receiving External Scholarships from Outside Agencies
UNT students receiving an external scholarship from an outside agency must notify Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFAS) to have the scholarship posted to the student's account.
Student recipients should contact donors directly in the event any condition(s) of an award received (i.e. enrollment requirement, etc.) will not be met.
Donors may mail scholarship checks to:
University of North Texas
Student Financial Aid and Scholarships
1155 Union Circle #311370
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Donors should include the following information when funds are sent to UNT so that scholarship checks can be processed:
- Make scholarship checks payable to the University of North Texas. Checks should not be made payable to the student or to UNT and the student. This creates an unnecessary delay in scholarship processing and keeps us from assisting the student efficiently. Additionally, scholarship checks should not be sent directly to the student if they are to assist with educational related expenses.
- Please include a communication with each check with the following information:
- Student Recipient’s Full Name
- Student Recipient’s UNT ID and/or date of birth
- Guidance regarding which academic term(s) the award should be applied to (i.e. fall, spring, summer)
- Information confirming if the award is a one-time payment or if it is renewable and if renewable, indicate when additional funds will be sent to UNT
- Information confirming the award can pay all educational expenses (i.e. tuition/fees, room/board, books)
- Donor contact information (organization name, address and phone number)
Enrollment & Tuition Verification
UNT students can log in to the MyUNT student portal at all times and access enrollment verification, as well as print off tuition bills on UNT letterhead that includes their current enrollment. This ensures that student confidentiality and release of information is handled between the awarding agency and the recipient appropriately.
Scholarships are disbursed according to the term(s) specified by the donor. If the donor does not indicate a disbursement schedule, UNT will use the following guidelines to process awards:
- External scholarship checks for less than $300 will be applied to the term most closely associated with receipt of the funds.
- External scholarship checks for $300 or more will be split evenly between the fall and the spring if the student is enrolled during each term.
Adjustments to Financial Aid Awards
- External scholarships received will be coordinated with all other financial aid and scholarships offered to you for the current award period.
- Once posted to your student account, receipt of late awards may cause other scholarships (awarded by UNT or other outside agencies) and other resources (federal, state and institutional financial aid) to be adjusted if you exceed the current Cost of Attendance at UNT, or exceed your established need for assistance as calculated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Your student account on MyUNT is your resource for viewing your award information.
Searching for External Scholarships
- External scholarship recipients receive offers and are selected by agencies or committees outside of UNT.
- UNT is not responsible for establishing criteria or participating in the selection or notification of recipients.
- A great deal of time can be spent researching external scholarships, and we encourage students to develop a focused plan to best utilize their time.
- Students should visit with their academic advisor regarding organizations relevant to their major focus (i.e. national organizations based on discipline) so they can develop a smart search plan.
Narrowing the external scholarship search to a specific field and organization will enable students to focus on the most applicable opportunities. Most external organizations want to identify students with specific skill sets. In turn, their marketing is focused on organizations that these students would most likely be involved with. For example, the national organization for UNT College of Education/KHPR Majors (Kinesiology/Health Promotion and Recreation) is SHAPE America: Society of Health and Physical Educators. The corresponding state organization in Texas is Texas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (TAHPERD).
The following is a list of organizations that provide information to assist with scholarship searches and general college financial information. As you explore external scholarship opportunities, please remember that you should never pay for a scholarship search. Learn more about scholarship scams.
- Federal Student Aid
- U.S. Department of Labor Scholarship Search
- UNT Student Money Management Center
- Accredited Schools Online: Scholarships and Financial Aid for Minority Students
- Adventures in Education - MOSAIEC
- Affordable Colleges Online: How Colleges Help Visually Impaired Students Succeed
- Affordable Colleges Online: Financial Aid for Minority Students
- College Board
- College Funding for Students with Disabilities – Project Do It
- Good Call Scholarship Search Engine
- Helping Students With Visual Impairments (Includes a list of scholarships opportunities)
- HighYa - The Money Hunt: Ins & Outs of Scholarship Scams
- How To Pay For Your MBA
- Minnie Stephens Piper Foundation
- University HQ – Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
- The suggested search sites on this SFAS website are provided for informational purposes only.
- Inclusion in the listing does not constitute an endorsement by UNT.
- Neither SFAS nor UNT can guarantee the accuracy or the timeliness of information found at any of the links in the listing. It is critical that you verify the information, particularly where deadlines are concerned.