The following are the six award levels of UNT Excellence Scholarships available for Fall 2023 first-time freshman:
|Excellence Scholarship Award Level||Annual Award*||Duration||Total Award|
|President's Elite||$12,000/year||4 years||$48,000|
|President's Honors||$10,000/year||4 years||$40,000|
|Dean's Scholarship||$8,000/year||4 years||$32,000|
|North Texas Scholarship||$6,000/year||4 years||$24,000|
|Eagle Scholarship||$4,000/year||4 years||$16,000|
|Scrappy Scholarship||$1,000/year||4 years||$4,000|
*Subject to annual renewal criteria described below.
The UNT Excellence Scholarship level is determined by evaluation of students' high school transcript and class rank. If submitted, SAT or ACT scores will be considered in the evaluation for eligibility but are not required for consideration or receipt of the UNT Excellence Scholarship. Submitted test scores will only be considered in the evaluation for the UNT Excellence Scholarships if they assist the student's eligibility for the scholarship.
To be eligible for the UNT Excellence Scholarship, students must:
- Be a first-time freshman admitted to UNT for the fall term immediately following high school graduation.
- Be a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 UNT hours each fall and spring semester.
- Be admitted by the UNT Excellence Scholarship priority deadline. The Fall 2023 UNT
Excellence Scholarship priority deadline for admission is March 7, 2023.
- Students are advised to apply for UNT admission as soon as possible (including submitting all supporting admission documents) to meet this deadline.
- There is no separate application for the UNT Excellence Scholarship. Fall 2023 first-time freshman will be considered for this scholarship based on their admission application and supporting documents available at point of admission.
Please note the following:
- Qualifying students will receive an award notification via their assigned UNT email, EagleConnect, with instructions for accepting their award.
- Visit the following page for additional information regarding EagleConnect Email: EagleConnect Email
- The deadline to accept Fall 2023 UNT Excellence Scholarship offers is May 1, 2023.
- Instructions for accepting UNT Excellence Scholarships are included in the award notification.
- Specific class ranking, high school GPA, and/or test scores do not guarantee receipt of the UNT Excellence Scholarship or a specific award level. Students must meet UNT's minimum admission requirements to be considered for a UNT Excellence Scholarship.
- Excellence Scholarships are competitive, merit awards and are subject to available funding. Priority consideration is given to the earliest applicants.
- Non-residents of Texas and international students in receipt of a UNT Excellence Scholarship
are eligible to receive a Texas state competitive scholarship waiver for the difference
between in-state and out-of-state tuition. Students must maintain eligibility for
the UNT Excellence Scholarship and meet Selective Service requirements to receive
and maintain eligibility for this waiver.
- Per Texas Education Code 51.9095, students must have met Selective Service requirements to receive a Texas state competitive scholarship waiver. Information regarding Selective Service requirementscan be viewed on Selective Service System .
- Non-resident students living outside of Texas while taking UNT courses are charged an Out-of-State Teaching Fee (OSTF) in lieu of tuition and instructional fees. This fee must cover the cost of instruction and is set by each academic department annually. The OSTF fee is not waived by the Texas state competitive scholarship waiver.
UNT Excellence Scholarships offer four years of support, applicable to fall and spring semesters, toward a first bachelor's degree for students that meet the renewal requirements:
- Maintain continuous fall and spring enrollment and take a minimum of 12 UNT hours each fall and spring.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative UNT GPA of 3.25.
- Complete of a minimum of 24 UNT hours each year during the fall and spring.
- Students are encouraged to take and complete 15 UNT hours each fall and spring to graduate within 4 years.
We encourage future and continuing students to:
- Create an account in the UNT Eagle Scholarship Portal and explore other scholarships offered by UNT.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to fully consider other financial aid possibilities.