You can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, free of charge, from the IRS in one of three ways:

Online Request

This is typically not available if you have never filed taxes before in prior years. If this is the case, please use the paper request process detailed below.

  • Visit the IRS transcript page.
  • Click Get Transcript Online (If at any point, you cannot validate your identity - for example, you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone - you may use Get Transcript by paper, see below).
  • Set up an account with the IRS. They will email you a confirmation code to enter. Be sure to check your junk folder in case the email is sent there.
  • Enter the tax filer's Social Security number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name.
  • Click Continue.
  • Select Higher Education/Student Aid as the reason for getting the transcript.
  • Click on the tax year needed under Wage and Income Transcript.
  • Upload the document when prompted when submitting Verification online from MyUNT.

Telephone Request

  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts.

Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4506-T

  • Download an IRS Form 4506-T .
  • Complete lines 1 - 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
  • Line 8: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Form W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, or Form 5498 series transcript.
  • Line 9: In the Year or period requested field, enter the tax period you are requesting.
  • Make sure you check the box which starts with "Signatory attests that he/she has read..." otherwise the form will not be processed.
  • Sign and date the form.
  • Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506-T.
  • If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper Wage and Income Transcript at the address provided on their request within 5 to 10 days.
  • Once received, make sure to include the student's name and Student ID number on the letter.
  • Upload the document to MyUNT when prompted.

How to fix address matching problems when ordering online

When entering the information into the IRS address matching system note the following:

  • The address entered must match the address already on file with the IRS exactly.
  • The address on file is typically the address on your most recent tax return.
  • Spelling out the word “street” rather than using the abbreviation “st.” can be enough to cause an error.
  • Addresses on the IRS system are auto-corrected through a post office program and may not match what you put on your tax return.

We suggest the following if you run into problems:

  • Have your taxes in front of you and enter the address carefully as it is on your return.
  • If you entered your address as it appears on your return and it doesn't work, try using the standardized version of your address.
  • If you still have problems, the IRS Help Desk can be reached toll-free at 1-800-876-1715, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).