Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

  • The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is available to undergraduate students only and is based on established financial need.
  • The annual limit cannot exceed UNT Cost of Attendance minus the other financial aid you receive.
  • Loan funds will not disburse until all requested documentation has been submitted and your aid application is considered to be complete.
  • A note will be placed on your To Do List on MyUNT if additional steps are required before disbursement.
  • Federal Regulations state financial aid must wait until 10 days before the start of each long semester to begin disbursing money to pay your account if your file is complete. Student Accounting will begin the refund process once funds have been released to your account.
  • For summer, loan funds will be released in one disbursement on the 1st class day of the session in which you establish half-time attendance.
  • If you are a new borrower at UNT (including transfer students), you must complete Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.
  • Continuing UNT borrowers will need to complete the Financial Awareness Counseling Tool (FACT) annually. You must complete the counseling before UNT can make any payment of your loan.
  • Each Federal Direct Loan borrower at UNT is required to complete Student Exit Counseling shortly before completing a degree, leaving UNT (i.e., withdrawing, graduation) or ceasing half-time enrollment.
  • Federal student loans have many repayment options.

Additional info from StudentAid.gov

Loan FAQs

What do I have to do to get my loan funds?

You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Monitor your MyUNT To Do List for updates and requirements. Once you are awarded, you must accept your loan awards via MyUNT.

Can I go ahead and complete the loan counseling now?

Yes. This can be done online. You will need your FSA ID and enter University of North Texas as a school to receive the results.

If I borrowed loans through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program and Direct Loans, will I have two different servicers to repay now?

Yes. You will receive correspondence and payment information from both the Department of Education and your prior lender or servicer.

Where can I find information about deferments or forbearance requests?
Where do I find information about Federal Loan Consolidation?
What is required for my loans when I leave UNT?

Loan borrowers are required to complete Student Exit Counseling online shortly before completing a degree, leaving UNT (i.e., withdrawing, graduation) or ceasing half-time enrollment. Be sure to select the University of North Texas as a school to receive notification of completion.

How do my parents apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan?

For undergraduate students only, you and your parents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Once the parent loan is awarded and accepted, the parent borrower must log onto StudentAid.gov to submit the Direct Parent PLUS Request.

What if my parent is not eligible for the Federal Direct PLUS loan?

The Department of Education will run a credit history check to determine eligibility for a Federal Direct PLUS loan. The department will provide additional information to parents about other options (i.e. pursue a co-signer/endorser or appeal the denial) if there is adverse credit history. UNT will process all denials received, regardless of which option is chosen. The PLUS Denial - Additional Unsubsidized Loan Request Form will be added to the student's To Do List via MyUNT once the denial has been processed.

How do I repay my loans?

Review Repayment Plans.

What is a Master Promissory Note?

The Master Promissory Note is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s).

What is an origination fee?

An origination fee is used by the federal government to offset the administrative costs of the loan. Origination fees are charged as the loan is disbursed.

What is the interest rate?

The interest rates for federal student loans can be found at Federal Student Aid.