The law governing Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs is based on the premise that the family is the first source of the student’s support. The law provides several criteria that indicate whether a student is considered independent of their parents when determining eligibility for financial aid. The criteria are indicated on the FAFSA and can be found at

Financial Aid and Scholarships has the authority, through Section 480(d)(7) of the Higher Education Act, to change a student’s dependency status on a case‐by‐case basis for students with unusual circumstances.  Federal regulations specifically prohibit schools from processing a dependency override for any of the following reasons:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student's education.
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the application or for verification.
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.

Please Note: If you are an unaccompanied youth and homeless, or at risk of homelessness, please submit the Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Determination Request form.

If you have an unusual circumstance and do not have contact with your parent, or contact poses a risk, such as in the cases of abuse, abandonment, or neglect, a student may submit a Dependency Override Request.

Dependency Override Request

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  2. Submit the complete Dependency Override Request form with all requirements to our office.
    • Provide a personal statement using the form below.
    • Submit legal documentation, if available.
    • Submit at least two (2) professional third-party statements.
  1. Monitor your UNT EagleConnect email account for requests for additional documentation, and for the decision for your request.

2023-2024 Initial Dependency Override Request Packet

2024-2025 Request for Dependency OverridePersonal StatementProfessional 3rd Party Statement