How to Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript

You can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, free of charge, from the IRS in one of three ways:

Online Request

  • Visit the IRS transcript page.
  • Click Get Transcript Online (If at any point, you cannot validate your identity – for example, you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone – you may use Get Transcript by MAIL, see below).
  • Set up an account with the IRS. They will email you a confirmation code to enter. Be sure to check your junk file in case the email is sent there.
  • Enter the non-filer’s Social Security number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name.
  • Click Continue.
  • Be sure to select Return Transcript and the appropriate year.
  • Save the Transcript for submission to our office.
  • Upload the document when prompted when submitting Verification online from MyUNT.

Telephone Request

  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts.

Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ

  • Download an IRS Form 4506T-EZ .
  • Complete lines 1-4.
  • On line 6, indicate the tax year requesting.
  • The tax filer (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.
  • Mail or fax the complete form to the appropriate address on page 2 of the 4506T-EZ form.