How to Request an IRS Tax Return Transcript

As part of the verification process for financial aid, it is sometimes required that people submit a copy of their IRS Tax Return Transcripts.

For a faster alternative...

You may be eligible to correct your FAFSA online and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Please note that not all students are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.


You can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript, free of charge, from the IRS in one of three ways:

Online Request

  • Go to
  • Set up an account with the IRS. They will email you a confirmation code to enter. Be sure to check your junk file in case the email is sent there.
  • Complete steps 1-6 to create an account.
  • Be sure to select “Return Transcript” and the appropriate year.
  • Save the Transcript for submission to our office.
  • Upload the document when prompted when submitting Verification online from MyUNT.

Telephone Request

  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts

Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ

  • Download a IRS Form 4506T-EZ.
  • Complete lines 1-4.
  • On line 6, indicate the tax year requesting.
  • The tax filer (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.
  • Mail or fax the complete form to the appropriate address on page 2 of the 4506T-EZ form.